Here’s a dress I’d been mentally planning for a while ago, pretty much as soon as I saw this fabric on etsy. I think because it reminded me of Josefina’s gold holiday gown, I decided I wanted to make another gold holiday gown. It took a while to track down just the right gold trim and ribbon and then decide on the pattern.
I wound up going with Josefina’s holiday gown pattern, in fact. Yes, this means I have two Regency gold and black holiday gowns but you know what? I don’t care. They’re pretty. And I think the details will make them look distinct enough –I’ll definitely get a photo of them together once I’ve got Josefina changed.
I had to experiment a bit to get the ribbons on the puff sleeves but I’m happy with the result. I’m also glad I added the ribbon around the wrists and the ribbon around the waist at the end on a whim. Otherwise the gown felt a little too bottom heavy, but anything around the neckline would have been too cumbersome I think. The fabric is so busy it really doesn’t want too much.
This was the first time I’ve done a lace trim like this that needed to be handsewn on and it actually wasn’t as big a pain as I’d expected. I sewed the main stem of each piece first with a new thread each time (in case one gets tugged off, so I won’t have to redo the whole thing), then went back and sewed each frond on. Sounds like a lot! But it was pleasant hadnwork I did in the mornings while playing with my son.
This is neither here nor there, but I wish I could un-read Jane Austen books sometimes and then read them for the first time. I need to just discover more Regency-era books but… I’m afraid of disappointment…