Another custom in the books, and I’m SUPER excited about this one! I feel like I’m starting to foray into the world of big-kid customs where I actually know what I’m doing.
This poor girl started out like this:
And is now THIS:
A long time ago I’d wanted to make an Ariel doll for myself. Now I don’t want to keep her, though I’ll admit I like her so much more than I’d originally expected. She was certainly a learning process and some of her pieces were purchased in order for me to see how the masters work up close.
For instance, that beautiful red hair is a Julie wig dyed red with Rit dye, though I was not the one to dye it. I do have a Julie wig and blue dye and now that I’ve seen it in action, I’m thinking the other doll I still have to restore may also become a mermaid of the blond-blue ombre variety. I’ve seen red curly wigs on eBay but, beautiful as they are, I think a straight-haired mermaid will keep her niceness much longer.
The adorable mermaid outfit was also purchased, this time from etsy seller PaigesCharmedLife. I have to admit, I’m sad to see it go. I bought it to include with the doll when sold, but it is SO stinking cute. It’s the first Mermaid outfit I’ve managed to find that really looks convincing. I am going to try to make my own next but I doubt I shall do so well. SO cute.
Now the parts that I did on my own: I thoroughly cleaned the doll (she was gross). I gave her new eyes –these are Marie-Grace’s eyes. I did a little bit of make up touch up. I removed ink spots on her arm and both legs, one of which was the size of a dime. She still has a few shine spots I’m unable to solve, and she has a small dimple-like indention beside her mouth. You can’t see it in photos at all, and it really does look like a dimple, so hopefully whomever buys her will think so too.
So in the end, I’m thrilled with her! Even though her eyes were the most difficult time I’ve ever had with eyes, and I hate gluing on wigs, and removing the ink stains demanded a patience I have only in short supply. But I’m happy with how she turned out, and I’m hoping I’ll be able to at least break even when I sell her on eBay. My husband made me feel a little bit better about it in case I don’t, reminding me that I enjoy restoring them, and so as long as I’m not just bleeding money, I should look at it as just the cost of the hobby. That made me feel better, and also has me itching to buy MORE dolls to save. But I’ll be good and wait a bit until I’ve managed to sell off some of my current horde and also work off that day-of-Melody.
Anyway. Hurray for Ariel!